USA Education Consultants in India
Many students from all over the world aim to study in USA for their under graduation or post-graduation. Universities in the United States are famous not just for their exemplary campus and research facilities but are also perceived by many students as an incubator for developing a global citizenship by communicating with people from different ethnicities.
Benefits of study in USA
American universities are amongst the best in the world and there are a number of benefits that a student can enjoy if he completes his higher education in the country.
Study at the best institutions
USA is one of the front runners when it comes to quality of education. Out of the top 10 universities in the world, USA is the country with the highest representation. Ivy League Universities such as Harvard, Yale and Cambridge have been well known for their ability to churn out world leaders, Nobel Laureates and industry stalwarts
Participate in groundbreaking research
If you are studying in any of the STEM related fields then you should study in USA if you want to participate in cutting edge research efforts. The US universities have some of the best research facilities, highest research funding and experienced faculty as compared to other countries.
Be a global citizen
Students who study in USA can experience diversity of different cultures first hand as most American universities have a significant number of students from diverse backgrounds. The universities also conduct a variety of social and cultural programs all through the academic to help international students.
Be a part of a global network
Most Universities in USA boast of really strong alumni networks, sororities and fraternities that you can tap into for your future career.
Scholarships for study in USA
Students who study in America are indeed lucky as they not only get to study in some of the best courses in the world but are provided a wide range of scholarships for pursuing the field of study they are most interested in. Some of the well-known and prestigious scholarships for Indian students pursuing higher education in United States of America are
1. Fulbright Scholarship for all universities in USA – A need and merit based scholarship that covers the entire cost of tuition, stay and travel
2. QS connect Masters Scholarship – A need based scholarship that covers up to 2000 USD of tuition cost
3. Tata Scholarship for Cornell University – A need based scholarship that is available to students pursuing their masters at Cornell University
4. Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship for Stanford – A need and merit based scholarship exclusively open to Indian students pursuing their masters at Stanford. The scholarship covers up to 90, 367 USD of tuition cost for the student. However there is a caveat that the student should return to India on completion of the course.
5. Go Clean Scholarship for all universities in USA – A merit based scholarship that is open to students studying at any university in USA or Canada and covers up to 3500 USD of total cost
Tuition fee varies from one institution to another and this is depending upon the chosen program. Generally, in public/State Universities and private universities, tuition fee ranges $12000 to $40,000 per annum. In Ivy League universities tuition fee ranges $48000 to $60000.
Work while you Study in America
You can work part time while you study in USA subject to certain conditions
1. You can work on campus for the first academic year of your course
2. You can work for up to 20 hours per week while your course is in session
3. Students who are pursuing a course in STEM (Science Technology Engineering Math) fields can work under the OPT(optional Practical Training) program
a.OPT program allows you to work after completing 9 months of course study
b.You will have to work in a field related to your course
c.You can work for a period of 12 months after completion of course without applying for a work visa under the OPT program
4. Students can opt to work under the CPT (curricular practical training) program which allows students to work in a field related to their subject either as an intern or through co-op education
USA F1 Student Visas are generally valid for a period of 5 years including OPT (optional practical training).
During study program, students can work only under certain conditions and in accordance with complex guidelines and restrictions issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). After meeting the guidelines and taking permission from the university where they are studying students are eligible to work for a maximum period of up to 20 hours per week during the academic year. Students can work full time (40 hrs) only during holidays. The average wage for part time jobs is between $10 and $12 per hour. Students can opt for OPT which is related to their field of work. International students who have graduated from a university in USA are eligible to work full time for the remaining period of their visa in USA.
ON Campus Employment:
As an undergraduate or postgraduate international student studying in the United States, employment is possible on a part-time basis for up to 20 hours every week.
Optional Practical Training (OPT) is the work authorization letter where students can work anywhere in USA to get hands-on work experience related to the academic field of study. OPT is valid for one year and which is extendable to 24 months for the students who graduates in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics) field.
KNOW YOUR VISA:
There are three types of student visa:
F-1 (Student Visa)– The F-1 visa which is for full-time students who are enrolled in an academic or language program. F-1 students can stay in the US for the whole duration of their academic program plus 2 months. It is a prerequisite for F-1 students to maintain a full-time course load and complete their studies by the expiration date listed on the I-20 form.
J-1 (Exchange Visitor Visa)– The J-1 visa is for students who need practical training that is not available in their home countries in order to complete their academic program. The training must be directly related to the academic program. The J-1 visa obligates the student to return to their home countries for a minimum of 2 years after the end of their studies in the US.
M-1: The M-1 visas for full-time students at vocational or other nonacademic institutions.